About Me

My photo
I am a bohemian nomad, someone who acts and lives free of regard for conventional rules and practices, but also one who moves according to the seasons. After traveling to over 100 countries and all 7 continents over the past 12 years I feel that I truly subscribe to the words of Mary Poxon, who said. "I sought to see the amazing as normal and the daily as unique, and in that swirling paradox I found the joy of travel." I will be forever in pursuit of new sights and adventures and hope that maybe I can convince a few more to give budget travel a chance. Budget travel gives those with little money an opportunity to travel and those with money an opportunity to travel longer.

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

INDIA 2014. (Golden Triangle +)


January 26, 2014.   (Flight from Bangkok to Delhi, India)

I stayed a couple of days in New Delhi before starting the Golden Triangle which includes Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. I am also including a Tiger Safari, Jaisalmer and camel safari. 


January 28, 2014.   INDIA, Agra,  Taj Mahal)   

The bus from New Delhi to Agra was only 2.5 hours. My hotel was only 5 minutes from the Taj Mahal but unfortunately it was closed by the time I arrived. Early plans tomorrow. 


January 29, 2014.  (TAJ MAHAL)

Up at 6 am and at gates at 6:45 awaiting the 7 am opening. Amazing views at sunrise. The entrance fee was 750 rupees ($12.50) which is not much for one of  7 wonders of the World. A local guide inside the Taj Mahal kept following me and asking to be my guide. I did not want to pay an extra fee but he kept pointing out a few good places to take pictures so I gave him an adequate tip for his help. 

The Taj Mahal is an ivory white mausoleum commissioned in 1632 to house the tomb of his favorite wife who died in childbirth. It was built over a 20 year period.















































































January 30, 2014.  (Agra Fort, Baby Taj and Taj Mahal at sunset)

Supposedly one of the great pictures you can take is from across the river. Usually there us a tour fee involved to get to that location. Fortunately a local near the Taj Mahal entrance told me that local fishermen docked the side of the Taj Mahal would row you to the middle of the River for $1 to get the perfect photo, which I did.
















BABY TAJ

This is a miniature version of the Taj Mahal in Agra, just much smaller and considered a draft of the much larger Taj Mahal.
















February 1-3rd, 2014.    (INDIA, Jaipur) (Amber Fort)

I took a bus for the 4 hour journey to Jaipur. While here I visited the Amber Fort and made plans for a Tiger Safari which I am looking forward to. The Amber Fort is a 16th century Maharaja's palace which was a unique mix of Hindu and Muslim designs.














February 3-5th, 2014.   (Tiger Safari in Ranthambhore National Park)

I stayed in Sawai Modhapur 2 nights and did 3 safaris to Ranthambhore National Park. This is one of the best areas in India to see the elusive Tiger. They say there is usually only  10% chance of seeing one. The region is divided into 6 regions and luck of the draw determines your regions. There are about 43 Tigers here. The cost is minimal, only about $35 pet safari including entrance. Unfortunately no luck but the last day there was a sighting near the main road as we approached our zone but it had gone by the time we arrived.  It is a mountainous area and very beautiful. We did see a hyena, though my pic is not so good. We also saw lots of deer, peacocks, owls, other birds, crocodiles, monkeys and a wild boar. FINALLY, right before the end of the safari we spotted a tiger walking in the shallow water. Not close but I'll take it.. Definitely should have stayed a couple more days.


































TIGER !!!!













February 5-7th, 2014.    (INDIA,  Jodhpur)

Another long bus (6 hours).  Jodhpur is a city in the Thar Desert. It's 15th century Meghrangarth Fort is now a museum displaying weapons, paintings and elaborate royal chairs. 




























February 7-10th.    (INDIA,  Jaisalmer)

Went to Jaisalmer specifically for the camel safari but the fort was amazing. Jaisalmer is a "living fort" as people live and have shops within its walls. Stayed at guesthouse Surja which had an amazing view of the man made lake and sunrise. Jaisalmer was definitely my favorite place in India on this trip.

.

























February 10-11th, 2014.   (Camel Safari)

Due to time constraints I only did a 1 night safari into the desert, only 60 miles from Pakistan border in the Thari Desert. Great experience but not a fan of riding camels, very painful. Great bunch on safari with 2 girls from Australia (Tasmania), 1 girl from Netherlands, 1 girl from China, 1 guy from Belgium, another from Spain and me. Quite the conversations while sitting around the camp fire.



































February 12-14th, 2014.   (Overnight train Jaisalmer to New Delhi)

Not sure what I was thinking but took an 18 hour overnight train to New Delhi. To make things worse I chose to purchase a 3rd class ticket, which was the cheapest, because I am a backpacker. Now its obvious to me sometimes I am a stupid  backpackers. After securing me place on a wooden bench, a young Indian boy sat next to me and asked if I was lost. I asked why and he said this was 3rd  class. He said backpackers take the much more comfortable 2nd class which was only $1.50 more. Lesson learned, cheaper may not be best option always. I am still learning every day. He was happy since he had an opportunity to practice his English. As the night progressed, it got colder and the numerous holes in the walls of the 3rd class car did little to stop the air.  Most others had blankets but not me. Lesson learned.  One last night in New Delhi and flight to Mandalay,  Myanmar. 








No comments:

Post a Comment